© Rita Draper Frazão

Inner Tour is a blog about People, Arts and Traveling by Rita Draper Frazão.
If you want to use my work, presented here, please send me a message.

4.08.2011

Sometimes I know, my portrait of Sam Rivers



Sometimes I know is the portrait I have done live from Sam Rivers, in the Festival Seixal Jazz in 2003.

This musician and composer played several instruments like saxophones, clarinet, flute, piano and voice. 
He led projects of his own and played with major figures in the Jazz scene like Miles Davis, Ron Carter, Steve Coleman, Tony Williams, Anthony Braxton, Cecil McBee, Dave Holland, Alexander von Schlippenbach just to name a few.

The night I did this portrait, he was the guest artist of the pianist Jason Moran. I feel fortuned to have had the chance to meet and draw him then, since he passed away some years afterwards, in 2011.

The drawing's moto refers to the wisdom and sensibility I felt in his playing. 
Almost twenty years afterwards, I recognize here the interest I already had in typography, (musicians') portraits, and silhouettes.

Seixal Jazz was organized by Paulo Gil, that recently passed away.
I would like to thank him for the support he gave me in my early years drawing musicians and I dedicate this post to his memory and to all he has done for Jazz and culture in Portugal.

My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário